Friday, February 1, 2013

An Intervention: Put away the phones.


People all around the world have developed a relatively new and unfortunate habit. We're addicted to our cell phones. As cell phones get smaller and, seemingly, more necessary, it's hard to resist the allure of retreating to that little gadget when you're stuck in the elevator, on the bus, or waiting for your next class to begin. It's not just cell phones either. It's MP3's and electronic tablets too. Are we afraid to talk to the person next to us? Are we too scared to slow down, sit back, and just enjoy a moment of silence in this face-paced world? Or, is it just because everybody else is doing it? A survey from NY Daily News found that 84% of people around the world can't let go of their phones even for a day. (Read more) In the article, Nancy Gibbs pointed out a shocking observation, "“In many parts of the world, more people have access to a mobile device than to a toilet or running water." Doesn't this indica-- ...scream* that something is wrong? So, the next time you find yourself standing in the elevator with a couple of "strangers" -- put the phone away and ask them how their day is going. (I'll do the same!)

Do we own our cell phones or do they own us?

(Image source)

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree, I find myself more worried if I leave my phone at home than if I lose my wallet or backpack.

    ReplyDelete